Cultural appropriation, or release?

This one isn't done yet. I want to add some penciled fencing in the corners, whitewash it a bit, and then rub the whitewash away so the attempt is exposed. (I'd then call it, "You can't whitewash this"). But I'm also thinking of kind of wrapping it in newsprint from the protests and peeling the newsprint back... don't know if that's possible, but it seems like a cool idea.

Why do this, work on a piece (well, two pieces, actually, if you count yesterday's) that have no right to be shown or sold (cultural appropriation)? Because I don't know how else to say what I want to say, which is we're in this together; that just because I'll never know what it's like to be you doesn't mean I don't care about what's happened to you.  As a woman, as a mother, as an empath, how can I not feel these abominations -- and all the ones that went before -- deeply? But as an elderly (and, yes, you can definitely call 70 elderly, even if I don't feel a day over 50) and relatively privileged white woman how can I possibly claim anything other than compassion?

And so art, and not for distribution. Except in small ways, as a reminder... I do find this piece disturbing. But isn't that the point of it?

Comments

Popular Posts