Behind the veneer


Oh, goody -- here's another one I think I can live with happily. I might wish the blocks of color were a little more defined, or the marks were a bit more adventurous, but overall I'm pleased with it, though it seemed to take a lot of last minute fiddling with the top edges of the blue block on the left.

It almost seems like this time of experimentation may be nearing its end, though clearly CoVid has not gone away. But I actually went to a grocery store today -- and felt reasonably safe. Which seems like a sign we're moving into a new normal, whatever that may be.

... and however horrific it may be (she said, having seen glimpses of the looting and burning that are going on around the country). Sometimes I feel that by electing Trump we opened Pandora's box, and now all the evil folks have been stuffing down behind the veneer of political correctness has come leaping angrily to the fore.

And I suppose that could be the source behind the sort of bloody tinge of these last works; that something ugly has spilled out for all of us to see, and now it's our job, not to disguise it or make it beautiful, but to somehow face it, deal with it, and slowly scrape it off the canvas of our society.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try another scraping painting; see if I can expose the true heart that lies beneath...

Comments

Popular Posts