Trusting in a brighter future

As promised, I used my new tools to create an iris.

As anticipated, this attempt at realism reminds me why that's not a path I follow.

I first ran into trouble by not looking at the flower before starting to paint it -- I had the yellow petals on the side and purple petals top and bottom. It was easy enough to repair the side petals -- and to give them the more magenta quality displayed by the flower (whose lower petal was more blue; also easily rectified).

But re-creating the top petal in pale yellow failed after several attempts; in the end I just gessoed over that whole section of the painting and re-did the pour.

I suspect the whole thing would be more appealing against a green background, but I also know that attempting to paint that in will ruin the cool edges of the pour -- which are, after all, the thing I like best about the process. I also know that even if the background were green I would eventually paint over this; in fact, it's probably even more likely if I were to paint the background.

So for now I will leave it in its imperfect state, as a charming but nonetheless imperfect reminder of previous failed attempts to render flowers. I do think, though, that I might perhaps do a small canvas, painting greens in the background first, and then splashing a few red poppies around; that could be fun...

I still really like the look of a pour, though I still hate what the work of doing it does to my back and neck. I've decided to trust that the work is building up muscles -- sort of like trusting that ignoring hunger pains will allow my stomach to shrink...

... and is that as pollyanna-ish as hoping that our current civil unrest will have some positive results? My husband keeps reminding me that the marches of the 60s and the trials of the Great Depression both led to laws that are very important to us today. But I'm still worried that we're not all being shown the same truths, and that both sides are getting manipulated versions of a story that could mislead us down some reprehensible paths...

Comments

Popular Posts