Lounging on the edge

After yesterday's debacle (which, curiously enough, received a record number of positive comments on Instagram) I decided to conduct the experiment again, but in such a way that I wouldn't be tempted to try to make it saleable, and would just explore possibilities.

So I started with an old canvas that stubbornly refuses to sell; just covered up a few salient points to even it out, and then brushed on the dark strokes with a long-handled brush (I never use long handles, but chose that to make it less easy to control) and LET THEM DRY before adding the Nickel Azo Gold -- which, by the way, I find too dark to be pleasing. But that's useful information, too; it's all good.

I smeared the gold, left it to dry, then applied a wash just using the dirty water from the two brushes. It didn't work all that well on a finished canvas, but I could imagine on a bare one it might have been quite effective.

I then added some strokes in black and white with my tiny squeeze bottles, just to give it some texture (not that it needed it with that stripey background, but again -- trying to see what might work, mark-wise (still trying to work on marks).

I don't believe the end result is actually saleable, but it definitely has redeeming features: it kind of reminds me of my daughter, lounging in the sand at the edge of the water... so -- on the strength of this attempt -- I've ordered 5 new blank canvases to play on; hope to pick them up this afternoon. So exciting to finally get some fresh canvas!

... and perhaps, embarrassingly enough, that's one of the things I miss most about staying in place: shopping. I'm not all that into it, but it was always nice to be able to just walk into a store and get what you need. I suppose all of us are being forcibly reminded these days of exactly how much of a privilege that was: I am suddenly remembering those images of all those stout Russian women in their thin coats in the cold, waiting in line for a chance at a loaf of bread... However much we complain, we are so not there. We need to be more grateful for the things we've been taking for granted for so long...

Comments

Popular Posts