If at first you don't succeed...

After a glorious night's sleep, I decided again this morning to tackle this painting, intended to copy the one I saw in the video. This time I used heavy body acrylics and palette knives, thinking that would somehow bring in the boxier textures of the original, but -- no such luck; another unholy mess.

To me, at least.

Which is okay. I now have enough texture on there to add interest to anything I end up painting over it. Which doesn't mean I'm not disappointed in the results. But I do applaud my decision to keep pushing that envelope -- breaking away from familiar colors and styles to explore other possibilities. And, as my husband would say -- nobody died. The only loss is paint, and that in colors I can happily spare.

So it's all good, right? And what if, instead, I'd spent the day sitting in my chair, reading romance novels, watching TV, or playing word games on my iphone? That would be okay, too, of course, but this -- despite the results -- was way more satisfying. It's fun to play; we don't always have to appreciate the finished product, right?

And that's what I tell my perfectionist self. Over. and Over.

Comments

Popular Posts