Getting back in touch

I know -- not all that much change from yesterday. And maybe a little too busy in that lower left corner.

But still -- as a first effort in this category, I'm pleased. I don't know if I'll pursue it, if it's "me," but it's taught me a lot about layers, transparency, and mark-making so it's definitely worth the trip. (from the classic young adult novel, "I'll get there. It better be worth the trip," by John Donovan. What can I say? It came out 40 years ago, when I was a librarian. Titles like that, you remember -- especially as you age and your short term memory starts to go.)

And honestly, I like the delicacy, the femininity of it.

It's funny: for years I was rather ridiculously thin -- 5'9" and 127 pounds; 122 at a low point after my divorce. And I used to say I was a fat person living inside a skinny body. Now, an amazon at 50 added pounds and 2 children later, I think I'm enjoying the delicacy of this painting because it reflects that other, younger, thinner person who still lives inside me. I mean, I'm very comfortable with who I am, but I don't necessarily think my physique or clothing choices reveal the strong feminine inside, so it's fun to express it.

Perhaps that's one of the benefits of isolation: we're all getting back in touch with friends, family, and parts of ourselves that may have been remote for a long time. Kind of like the folks in LA who are seeing sky and clouds after years of smog -- it gives a depth and dimension to life that's been missing...

Comments

Popular Posts