Further adventures in pouring

A number of yesterday's issues got resolved, but I'm still not feeling quite in the zone, so I decided to play some more today, experimenting with different proportions of paint to water -- on top of yesterday's piece.

I don't think it's great art, I'd never try to sell it, but I do like it better than yesterday's -- partly because it's more complex, but I suspect mostly because the contrast between darks and lights is so much more dramatic.

While I don't enjoy drama in my personal life, I do enjoy drama in my paintings -- and maybe that's one of the functions of creativity: it allows for a safe expression of emotions that might be less acceptable on a human/conversational level?

But -- and I know I've posted about this before in various ways over the years -- this piece also serves as a reminder that we kind of need dark to appreciate the light; that the dark times we're experiencing now may have unexpected benefits in the future -- kind of like all the good laws that were enacted after the depression to guard us against ever experiencing those extreme levels of deprivation again, or the mechanisms that were constructed after the World Wars to prevent the possibility of a third World War.

That is the hope, at least; that somehow the good currently buried under the dark will finally come to light when this is over...


Comments

Popular Posts