Best laid plans...

It's Memorial Day, and we woke up to discover two more trees from the alder stand at the foot of our driveway had fallen -- no wind, light rain, that's all it took, apparently -- and damaged our pump house.

We lost one earlier this week, and had already planned to take them all out but hadn't heard back from the tree guys yet. Now it looks like two more are cracked and ready to fall and block the driveway again, so we've been busy finding someone who can get to it sooner. And talking to the insurance people, because the pump house is going to need work before we can get the door open again. We're just hoping the pump keeps working till we can get in there... Sigh.

The good news is that even though the trees and pump house are ours, the well is shared with 3 of our neighbors, so they're willing to share the repair and tree removal costs.

But of course, our morning has been eaten up dealing with all this, so my work in the studio has been piecemeal bits without any concentrated effort. I was given some new canvases yesterday by a friend (yay!) so I can play on fresh canvas without worrying too much about results. I was hoping to take advantage of that by trying different mixes of paint, water, and medium, but my time was too broken up to either come up with a clear process or adequately monitor the results.

I DID, however, discover that the fineline applicators I bought are designed to fit my 1 oz bottles of high flow acrylics (although there seems to be an imperfect fit; I definitely had some leakage) so I can do a quick conversion and add lines to my work. And I spent some time while on hold drawing up a page of different kinds of marks I could be making. So it hasn't been a total loss, even though this canvas probably merits a do-over.

Life, as they say, is what happens while you're making other plans -- and life definitely seems to be happening today!

Comments

Popular Posts