Some dark intrusion

Encouraged by yesterday's results, I gave myself permission to work with a new blank canvas today, trying out yesterday's colors in a larger space but building on some of the work I did earlier in the week.

I'm reasonably pleased with the results, although I might do some touchup on it tomorrow. I think the lower left section got a little dark and muddy -- although that may just be the way the light hits it in this photo; it didn't bother me when it was on the wall...

What I'm liking is the increased sense I have of freedom with these; I'm feeling like it might be time to tackle some bolder, more intentional pieces, using blocks of color and heavy body acrylics instead of the fluid acrylics I've been working with. As my strokes loosen up, I'd like to see how that works with thicker layers of paint. These aquatic pieces (doesn't this look a bit like swans on a lake) are very much in my wheelhouse, but I'm itching to push beyond this zone into something more abstract. We'll see...

And now I'm wondering if the work has this lovely liquid feeling because of my meditation practice. I'm up to twice a day instead of once a day now -- which may be contributing to my overall sense of mellowness, although I also avoid listening to the news; something I was unable to avoid today, as much of the day was spent making a recording of myself reading this week's newspaper aloud for the visually impaired.

Almost the whole paper was devoted to news about CoVid-19 and its effect on our community and communities around the state, including the fact that there are counties out there intending to defy our governor's stay home order. I find that very disturbing, and ache for the vulnerable souls whose lives are threatened there -- plus, it's hard not to worry there's a sort of revolution brewing.

Perhaps that accounts for the darkness in this painting, despite my efforts to keep it light. Somehow my subconscious always manages to express itself in the work...


Comments

Popular Posts