Movement and resistance

This one's a bit different, eh? It's really a mix -- initial spraying of a gessoed-over canvas, saran wrap dragging of the black, white, orange and yellow from the previous canvas; then adding my beloved prussian blue to soften the black, and some teal to brighten things up, smearing up the edges with a sponge of white, and then the marks styling from the previous canvas...

I don't know if I like it, but I did love how it felt to paint it: relaxed, loose, more of a dialog between me and the canvas. And I do see glimpses in it of where I'm meant to be going, though I find the earlier ones easier to look at.

I suspect it's the black that's throwing me off. It's a bit like I'm exposing the dark side of things in a time when I'm trying to be relentlessly light, but the dark and the fear are leaking through? I see hope, but I also see tension, and frustration; forward movement and resistance; a lot of pent-up energy. Which is not how I think of myself, really; this period of isolation has actually been quite pleasant, though there are things I'm itching to accomplish that just can't happen right now.

If I'm really going to read into it, I could say I see a horse, trying to run from the forest to the sea, but being held back. Boy. Talk about projection... But if we go with that, I'd have to also notice that she carries an amazing amount of color within her, and that her surroundings are not as important as all that inner joy.

Such fun to see what emerges! And it's all good...

Comments

Popular Posts