Perfectionism and other debilitating traits

I was gone most of the day today, but I wanted to at least paint SOMEthing when I got home, so I returned again to my little notebook and my tiny pad of watercolor paints. My mission for today, from my daughter's meditation practice, was to work on one of the challenges I named yesterday, so this one should be called "Letting go of perfectionism." I.e., it's definitely not perfect!

I suspect that the real lesson I should be learning is that I don't have to drive myself to create something new every day. I think that's the true perfectionist at work -- or maybe its another of my faults: that I think I don't have value unless I produce something... Hmmm.

But it's been fun, getting to know these little paints, and seeing how the paper reacts, how they spread... and there are, believe it or not, several layers -- paint, pencil, sharpee, white paint, more blue, more sharpee, yellow drops...

Personally I find it way too busy, but I decided to just let those feelings go and post it here anyway. I'm just thinking of it as a learning experience -- not unlike this whole period in our lives. We don't know what we're doing, we don't know what's next , or how best to cope; we just keep trying things and seeing if they work. Some do, some don't, and so far we're still alive. I'm hoping we stay that way...

Comments

Popular Posts