Fits and Starts

This is yesterday's painting, painted over. I put tape over a few spots to carry that brick red color into the newer version, and you can see the three squares showing through in the lower right corner, but otherwise it's a whole new deal -- and a fun experiment. I'm liking the complexity of it, so it's all good; I may or may not paint over it...

But while I was at it, I also put some tape on another piece, one of the blue ones, and painted over it with the leftover paint from the black and gold palette. Definitely not as successful -- in fact, a bit of a muddy mess -- but I decided to see if I could perk it up with some white lines. Fun -- but definitely not worth saving.

That said, I don't regret the time spent experimenting: if I began this effort in an attempt to explore and develop a style, improve my technique, and practice mark-making, you could definitely say I'm making progress. If it happens in fits and starts, well, isn't that just like life? Life never seems to roll out smoothly, and certainly at this point we're all pretty much stopped in our tracks. But at some point we know we'll begin moving forward again; hopefully we'll have learned whatever it is we need to learn and be energized to tackle whatever's next...

Comments

Popular Posts