When Chaos Reigns -- or is that Rains?

And here we have graphic proof that not every excursion into my studio is successful!

I generally prefer to work with two colors, or one color with two adjacent colors in contrast, but in this case I decided to follow the recommendations of a color wheel in one of my books: Anthraquinone blue, Hansa yellow and Quinacridone magenta.

I've actually worked with these three before with some success, but in that case I was making sure that only two colors ever interacted together. But I'm experimenting, right? So I decided to put all three on the canvas and watch what happened. Answer? Chaos. Pure chaos.

Now don't get me wrong -- there's some really great stuff here; some places where the interactions really worked, places I hope to keep in the next iteration. But overall it's really kind of a dog, and in the end I just threw water and paint at it, figuring it will add to the textures of whatever goes on top.

After all, no one said I had to produce a FINISHED painting every day. Some things take time to develop, and you just have to work with that. It's like the family ZOOM meeting we held yesterday: not everyone managed to get it to work, and the sound was garbled a bit from some folks. But we didn't give up; we're definitely planning to do it again, because this particular collection of folks -- my husband, his 3 sibs and their mates, their kids and their mates, our kids and their mates -- we are a very entertaining bunch, and we genuinely appreciate each other.

And -- like a good painting -- it looks like this could take a while. So it's good we have a way to stay connected each other. Given that some of us live in Australia, some in Jamaica, some in New Jersey, some in Florida and some in Washington, we get to look at the virus from a lot of different perspectives. It's all good.

But for now, I'm letting this one sit and dry while we walk to the mailbox and back. And we'll see what happens next!

Learnings: When working with three primaries, mix only two at a time
                   Sometimes adding black and white and drips can save a disaster.

Comments

Popular Posts