Feeling stymied

To be honest, I didn't really make it into the studio today. I stepped in a couple of times with good intentions, but this one -- which I began yesterday after finishing the Jane Davies piece -- kind of has me stymied; I'm not quite sure yet where to take it, or where it's going.

For now I'm calling it rainforest, because it reminds me of the view from the Bowen Island ferry in the rain; all those forested hills, the water down below and pouring down the windows as the clouds dissolve...

My guess is this one was inspired by some wishful thinking; remembering silent retreats up on Bowen, spending a week at a time, meditating 8 hours a day, interrupted only by meals and lectures about Centering Prayer.

I'd love to be doing something like that now, given the forced seclusion; meditating for hours, being fed, breaking only for... say... time in the studio, or time reading uplifting works.

But I share my living space with someone who chooses to spend enormous amounts of time on the internet, researching the virus, and epidemiology, and recommendations for how to protect yourself, and -- of course -- the clever jokes and memes now circulating from all the brilliant brains stuck at home with little to occupy themselves. And whatever he learns, from all that research, he's very eager to share, so... I'm still figuring out how much quiet I need in order to stay sane, and what he needs in the way of attention from me in order for him to stay sane. Not the first time we've had to juggle these issues, so it's all good -- we'll get there.

In the meantime we're doing our best to stay healthy, washing hands, sneezing into elbows, spraying things that come in from outside... and wondering, with the rest of the world, where all this is leading.

Learnings: When in doubt, drips won't make you happy.
                   Don't paint when you're tired.

Comments

Popular Posts