Painting Protest

Because of the way spills work, it came to me this morning that the bits that drip off the edges are like fingers, and that -- because it consumes so much of our thoughts these days -- I would attempt a couple of pieces to express my longing to reach out in support of Black Lives Matter.

I'm doubly aware at the moment because my daughter's roommate was teargassed last night while standing in a peaceful protest. It took him a while to get home, but he called her in advance to tell her to lock up their cats and put a garbage bag by the door so he could strip out of his clothes without harming her or them; apparently he had to take a cold shower because a hot shower allows the gas to seep into your pores. (I don't know, of course, how much of the cold shower thing is urban legend and how much is fact).

What I do know is that Seattle police were forbidden to use tear gas but a canister landed right in front of him as he was trying to help a couple of fellow protesters who had fallen in the rush to escape the flashbangs being thrown by the police. What I do know is that he's a sweet and noble soul. What I do know is he has heart issues and is therefore vulnerable to CoVid, and after having carefully quarantined for weeks on end he felt he had to step out in support of Black Lives Matter and against police brutality.

And what I do know is that I am not as brave as he is. And so I paint.  These pieces may turn out to be total crap. But they will be an attempt to speak out, however poorly executed they may be. They are not done yet; the spills still need to dry, and then more will be added. I don't know yet what that will look like, but I have some ideas...

Comments

Popular Posts